The Consumer Goods Forum has released a new report on the five trends that are impacting the global retail chain. The five trends were:
- Economy and Consumer Demand – the challenges of the global economy have significant potential impacts on the demand for goods like red meat.
- Corporate Responsibility – this includes environment and sustainability of the products being sold.
- Retail Brand Offer from retailers — This includes in-house and external private brands all competing on the same shelf.
- Intense Competitivness amongest retailers – Retailing is a high cash flow and low margin business
- Food and product safety – Events like a recall is a major cost to retailers.
Jeff Doucette is a Principle with Sales is Not Simple. Jeff Doucette is thought leader in the Canadian retail industry. During his eleven year career in the consumer packaged goods industry he held a range of sales roles with two of the industry’s largest players Unilever and L’Oreal. Jeff has an extensive Retail Marketing background, having lead retail / consumer promotions development for brands such as Lipton, Knorr, Hellmann’s, Slim Fast, Maybelline New York and Garnier Fructis.
We chatted with Jeff at the International Livestock Congress in Calgary where he discussed these five challenges, how they impact the beef industry, and what we need to do to mitigate them.
If you cannot see the embedded video below, click here