David Suzuki Gets Challenged By Actual Scientists in Australia

Now I am not the biggest Ezra Levant fan, nor do I subscribe to Sun TV but I stumbled upon a very interesting segment on Ezra Levant’s program.   Levant features an interview that David Suzuki participated in while he was visiting Australia.

Click Here to See the interview here

It is very interesting to hear David Suzuki discuss genetically modified foods and how concerned he is about their lack of testing.  As Levant points out, usually Suzuki gets the opportunity to just spin his version of the story and then walk out of the room.  In this case he took live questions and follow up questions.  He was literally undressed by his lack of real scientific knowledge.

Like the Chipotle video criticism last week, Suzuki talks about GMO’s all being about corporate greed and punishing the farmers and misleading the consumer.  I find it hard to be sympathetic about Suzuki’s corporate greed argument when the man is an actual corporation himself.  Suzuki profits immensely from his position on the this topic.  He is paid handsomely to speak around the world by like minded organizations to spread the anti GMO message.

Every country has someone like David Suzuki, someone who spreads the good word about how consumers are being lied to by companies like Monsanto, whne actually they are creating good in the world for many through the safe use of biotechnology.

I encourage you to watch the video because its very clear that when confronted by actually scientists, David Suzuki is not much of an authority on anything science based.

Taking risk out of climbing grain bins

It's hard to say how many injuries occur or work hours are lost on North American farms due to falls while climbing grain bins. They don't all get reported or talked about, but there are many anecdotal stories of people getting hurt, or narrowly escaping injury. Whether checking grain condition, opening or closing lids, or…Read more »

Wow

Wow check out your background douche…I’m sure you have no vested interest in a spin on things…

Gregor

There’s nothing more convincing than an ad hominem attack. However, I suggest you learn some science and try again….

Frank Schlichting

Being involved in the forest industry for many years I have always been amazed how ignorant his comments have been about forestry. I really enjoyed the roasting he received in the link you provided. It confirms my opinion of the man. He babbles on endlessly about subjects he knows very little about. I wish the CBC would have the courage to terminate his program and have some real experts explain “the nature of things”

DrCaligari

Implying that Suzuki isn’t an actual scientist, as the headline very clearly does, is an ad hominem attack.

Brenda Diederich

Go GMO! I really like the t-shirts that say, “Before you say no, KNOW GMO’! I want one.

Brenda Diederich

Perhaps I’ll eliminate the offensive exclamation points on my previous comment and just communicate my desire to own a pro-GMO shirt.

ralph

haha, Brenda! I”m probably more on Suzuki’s general train right now (as in “let’s slow this madness down”)…. BUT… “I very much appreciate your professional, dry (and hilariously sarcastic!?) willingness to eliminate any and all use of potentially offensive punctuation marks.” (for surely, that’s what REALLY threatens the world nowadays : )

Brenda Diederich

Why, thank you. I’ve found (by posting on comment sections) that when typing these words: ‘anti-gmo facts’, the placement of quotation marks ONLY around the word “facts” often results in death threats and wishes of my demise through cancer!

ConstantBoo

Wow I can’t believe how mean they were to David. And all he wanted was another honorary degree, is that too much to ask for? Well, that and a couple of young, pretty, nicely dressed female security representatives.

Denis Tremorin

You know what would make this video even better? IF EZRA WOULD SHUT UP! I can’t stand that guy’s schtick

Ralph

I have no idea what anyone is talking about in terms of one person being ‘undressed’. I just watched the video from link above. I do not have any real prior familiarity with Suzuki – and none with the scientist in the audience who was speaking – or with Ezra Levant. But science (and any ‘truth’, for that matter) at it’s best is FULLY meant to be subject to peer review and scrutiny. These two guys (Suzuki and the scientist in the audience) appeared to be FULLY participating in legitimate point and counter-point making for the betterment of EVERYONE’s understanding (at least in as much as what was presented in this video) – and KUDOS to them BOTH for that! So in the closed context of this video, it’s really Levant who demonstrates himself to be a real toolbox.

Richard Razo

1) Hmmm Shaun Haney your line of biz states you are a retailer of wheat, barley, canola and corn seed. You aren’t biased in anti-GMO messages are you for financial reasons? So what’s are take on this scientist.

2) —- Let me present a Senior Staff Scientist Michael Hansen Ph.D —-

I listened to Consumer’s Union Senior Staff Scientist, Michael Hansen Ph.D, in person, in Chicago as he spoke to the panel hearing for SB1666 in September 2013. There were 4 “expert” speakers for both sides btw.

>> If your interested go to youtube and search for video qlgu5I99wbs.

I would like to quote Mr. Hansen who has worked on GE for the last 20 years on the state, national, and international levels.

A) (33:40 mark of the video) = “There is global agreement that GE is different than conventional breeding and there should be required safety assessments…. that’s been done through… the food standard setting organization of the UN it is jointly run by the World Health Organization and Food Health Organization”

B) (34:50 mark) “Globally agreed that the potential of GE could Introduce new allergens, or increase levels of same allergens, introduce new plant toxins, changes in nutrition, unintended consequences….”

C) (35:09) “The FDA in May 1992 original policy on GE plants at a biotechnology industry gathering as a de-regulatory initiative. They claimed no required safety assessments needed….”

D) (36:20) “The FDA has not made a conclusion about these crops…” he then provides evidence.

there’s more things to quote but this post is already long.

Michael Down

I just watched Ezra and he picks and chooses clips and shows himself to be guilty of what he accuses Suzuki of. Suzuki says he is open to adapt his views, even on Ezra’s clips. What Suzuki has said is that we need a long trial to know if we’re doing something which could ultimately prove dangerous. We’re not doing these longer period trials because of greed for profit and regulatory complicity.

Logic

That’s a very illogical argument you make.

You claim that Suzuki can’t talk about corporate profits because he takes money to speak about topics. That’s not logical just on it’s own merits. Suzuki could be right about everything he says and still get paid. So could Monsanto. Getting paid has nothing to due with the truth of either argument.

But even if we allow your illogical argument, that money influences the view of each….then we STILL have to conclude that Monsanto must be wrong because they would accept FAR FAR FAR more funding that Suzuki would ever get paid in a million lifetimes for his speaking fees. Monsanto by FAR has the bigger financial reason to be the liars in this example.

And as other’s have mentioned….to suggest Suzuki isn’t a “real” scientist is just ignorance of the man of the highest order. The guy has a PHD and taught genetics for over 40 years at UBC.