With incredible yields comes the incredible need for storage. Fortunately, plastics protect much of our agricultural commodities today, in North America — twine and net-wrap secure livestock forage and bags shelter grain and hay. But are we overvaluing these privileges? Are we willing to sacrifice the environment and our own health as balance to protecting the harvest? The Problem The estimated values for agricultural waste in Alberta are astonishing, with as much as 15,600 tonnes of plastic and paper waste being produced annually. Anywhere from 6,600 to 14,000 tonnes of that waste is plastic, and much of it ends up in the…
Register to continue reading
Join the RealAg Community
Create a FREE account to access exclusive content, get access to invite-only webinars and, while supplies last, we’ll send you a RealAg hat!
- Focus your experience on RealAgriculture.com by managing your shortcuts and commodities
- Favourite articles to save for later reading
- Manage your newsletter subscriptions
- Comment on articles (restricted to members only)
- Did we mention the free RealAg hat?!