The Beef Farmers of Ontario are reminding cattle producers that, effective November 1, 2014, the check-off fee will be increased from $3 per head to $4 per head.
Three of the four dollars collected will remain with the Beef Farmers of Ontario; the last dollar will be forwarded to the national agency to continue to fund marketing and research, BFO says.
The increase in the check-off was supported by the membership, BFO says.
Current check-off dollars have been used to:
- Establish and maintain the Risk Management Program as a valuable business tool for beef farming families.
- Investigate and developing a long-term strategy to expand the cow herd in Ontario (Click here for a story on expansion into the Great Clay Belt)
- Develop a Make It Ontario Beef brand to support local farmers and promote locally grown beef.
- Provide timely market information and statistical data to help farmers make informed business decisions.
- Provide financial support to important organizations such as the Ontario Corn Fed Beef program, 4-H Ontario, Ontario Association of Food Banks, and Farm and Food Care.
- Establish the BUILD Leadership Development program to invest in future industry leaders.
- Develop an Ontario Livestock Shipping Manifest with industry to provide farmers with a traceability solution and an important business tool.
Updated check-off forms will be available on November 1, 2014.
For a full list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding the check-off, click here.