An Overview of Premises ID for Livestock Owners in Alberta


In Alberta, regulations require premises identification (PID) became law under the Animal Health Act on January 1, 2009. It is thus mandatory for livestock and poultry to be associated with a PID account.

Premise ID for cattle is
also mandatory under
The Animal Diseases Act
in Manitoba, while Ontario,
Saskatchewan and British
Columbia offer voluntary
 It’s part of a full traceability system aimed at improving disease and emergency response.

RelatedAlberta Beef Producers Proposes an Additional, Non-Refundable $1 to the Province’s Check-Off

“The information that’s collected in the PID system is used to quickly respond to disease issues or emergencies and give the proper notification to farmers to take the necessary precautions,” says Allan Pelletier, director of Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development’s Traceability Branch, in the above interview. “So, we use the system  for planning, controlling and preventing the spread of animal diseases.”

Animal owners in Alberta need a PID number to complete transport documents such as manifests and permits, sell livestock at auction markets, apply for government agriculture grants and programs, and (as of July 1, 2014) buy medication for animals at retail outlets.

Though the process varies between provinces and territories, PID applications generally require legal land descriptions (or geo-referenced coordinates); the owner’s name and contact information; the name and type of operation; and a list of the animals, plants and food on the premises in the last year.

Albertans can apply for a PID account online or on paper. If your animals are using a permanent comingling/boarding facility, you do not need to apply for a PID, but know theirs.

For more information on premises ID, contact your provincial agriculture department.


Please register to read and comment.


Register for a RealAgriculture account to manage your Shortcut menu instead of the default.