Every farm has at least one tractor, at one old shed, an old grain silo and, definitely, at least one farm dog. In celebration of National Dog Day (follow the feed on Twitter), I thought we could take a closer look at the roles of a farm dog, from guardian and labourer, to playmate and friend. Protection of the family and livestock has always been critical due to the remoteness of many farms. (Think of the sheep dog protecting the flock from wolves, coyotes and foxes.) Historically, and to this day, many dogs are used to work on the farm in livestock operations.…
Register to continue reading
Join the RealAg Community
Create a FREE account to access exclusive content, get access to invite-only webinars and, while supplies last, we’ll send you a RealAg Koozy!
- Focus your experience on RealAgriculture.com by managing your shortcuts and commodities
- Favourite articles to save for later reading
- Manage your newsletter subscriptions
- Comment on articles (restricted to members only)
- Did we mention the free RealAg Koozy?!