In this week’s Word, Peter Johnson, resident agronomist for RealAgriculture and host of this weekly podcast, answers questions around weather, rotations and fertility.
- Recognize that food is everyone’s business. If you’ve farmed today, thank a consumer.
- We’re in a marketing range on corn, soybeans and wheat right now.
- How is the warm weather affecting winter wheat? Alfalfa?
- The snow is gone, is it too early to seed red clover?
- Why can’t I plant 15″ row wheats? And what about cross seeding?
- Every inch of change fin row width rom 7.5″ sees a 1% yield loss.
- More dandelions, fleabane between the rows. Crop competition is the best weed control option we can get.
- Nobody wants to seed it twice.
- What should follow a high-manure corn silage crop in a rotation?
- Think fertility and disease/pest transmission when considering what to put in your rotation.
- Banding both sides of the row…worth it?
- If a winter wheat missed the fall phosphorous application, should it receive one in spring?