In this week’s Word, Peter Johnson, resident agronomist for RealAgriculture, covers everything from weather to annual ryegrass control. And, did you get last week’s homework assignment done?
Skip to Podcast
Have a question for Wheat Pete? Call 1-888-746-3311, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- (01:05) Weather Update:
- (01:12) 7.5″ rainfall from March 21 – April 11 at St. Marys.
- (01:20) Nitrogen credit out of thunderstorms – worth considering?
- (01:47) Multi-coloured wheat fields – all it needs is a little bit of dry weather. Wheat is tough.
- (02:35) More frost heave than we would have anticipated.
- (03:01) North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee will potentially see freeze injury on wheat that’s two weeks ahead of normal.
- (03:28) Ilderton saw -8C for three hours might challenge some red clover. Get out there and scout.
- (03:54) Homework Review:
- Did you find out you have lousy record keeping on your wheat crops?
- Did you look at how much phosphorous you had applied versus how much you removed?
- You really need to be building single digit phosphorous.
- Now: time to determine what to do going forward.
- (07:35) Wheat:
- (07:37) I’ve got big wheat — what do I look for to decide when to put nitrogen on?
- (08:41) Should we dilute on our first pass?
- (09:00) What rate of nitrogen and what’s my split for soft red wheat?
- (10:00) Cleavers and fleabane in wheat. Can I spray, then seed red clover?
- (10:54) Can I plant wheat this fall if using Step-Up herbicide on sandy, low OM soil?
- (11:12) Are PGRs no longer allowed?
- (11:48) Can I ensile wheat and use it as hog feed?
- (12:07) Barley:
- How do I no-till barley underseeded to red clover when using dry dairy manure and commercial fertilizer?
- (12:58) Plant Green:
- (13:02) Cereal rye and wheat, and want to plant soybeans or corn into it. Is there a formula?
- (14:05) I have fleabane, how do I handle it and my annual ryegrass?
- (16:03) Will annual ryegrass in the corn limit nitrogen movement/availability?
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |