If your wheat is at the flagleaf stage and you’re worried about its height, you have horsetail in your corn, or you’re not sure how to deal with prostrate knotweed, you’ll want to tune in this week. Peter Johnson, resident agronomist for RealAgriculture, returns for his weekly podcast, where he answers questions and shares agronomic insight. Here’s to another episode of the Word!
Have a question for Wheat Pete? Call 1-888-746-3311, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- Plan for dry conditions and it will rain.
- Recent (multi-)million dollar rains saved many wheat, corn and soybean fields, but some areas are still dealing with 1/2″ of rain.
- Some winter wheat fields are heading out— great timing to get grain fill during longest days of the year.
- Insects are out and about.
- Huge seedcorn maggot numbers in Ontario soybeans, and across very large geographies.
- There are some fields where 4 wireworms are still being found 5- or 6-leaf corn. Along with the heavy pressures come rumblings that Fortenza is not doing the job that neonicotinoids are, but there is no data to support this.
Related: Corn School: Scouting for Three Early Season Pests — Wireworm, Cutworm & Grubs
- Hay is looking good.
- “The best hay yields ever for an awful lot of growers!”
- Where growers didn’t have much manure, sulphur strips are seeing phenomenal responses.
- Dry weather during much of the harvest has meant that many producers didn’t just see high quanitites but also great quality.
- Wheat crops aren’t as short as most people thought.
- Remember, wheat will double its height as it moves from flag leaf into full head.
- Keep an eye out for armyworms.
- Weeds have many looking at tank mix options.
- For horsetail in corn, don’t use Broadstrike + MCPA beyond the 4-leaf stage. The potential for yield loss far outweights any benefit gained from hitting the weed.
- Mixing 2,4-D with glyphosate in corn is ill-advised. The surfactant will increase the uptake of 2,4-D, and thus increase phytotoxicity.
- And other no-goes in corn.
- Johnson also addresses lots of other questions, comments and concerns from the audience.
- Corn seeds with roots but no shoots.
- Is side-dressing sulphur on corn a good idea?
- What to do when manure doesn’t supply enough nitrogen to wheat (and also, what not to do in the future).
- If oats and peas are undersseded to alfalfa, can the crop be rolled post-harvest?
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | All Podcasts
Please register to read and comment.