Great Leadership Means Putting People First: General Rick Hillier

by

So these two Newfoundlanders end up at a farming conference…

It may sound like the beginning of great joke, but it’s actually none other than RealAgriculture’s Bern Tobin meeting up with General Rick Hillier, former chief of defence staff for the Canadian Armed Forces, to talk about leadership and the importance of people.

Speaking at the Grain Farmers of Ontario March Classic event earlier this week, General Hillier discussed some of this key strategies to leading, even in the face of danger and dark times. In the interview below, he talks about his 95/5 rule — where you have to realize when 5% of your people are taking away from mentoring and truly leading the other 95% — and why it’s so important to choose three goals/priorities and be relentless in their pursuit.

Like any good Newfoundlander, though, Hillier also notes the importance of good humour, especially when times are tough, and the importance of in-person, meaningful communication with a commitment to truly listening.

Wake up with RealAgriculture

Subscribe to our daily newsletters to keep you up-to-date with our latest coverage every morning.

Wake up with RealAgriculture

Please register to read and comment.

 

Register for a RealAgriculture account to manage your Shortcut menu instead of the default.

Register