In this episode of The Word, host Peter Johnson takes us through “unbelievable yield reports”, push back on his IP vs RR soybeans conversation, cover crop management, and some specific questions on triticale and wheat.
Have a question you’d like Johnson to address? Or some yield results to send in? Leave him a message at 1-888-746-3311, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- 00:50 – Yield reports from Ohio to Essex, Wentworth to Lambton County to South Bruce.
- 03:55 – The last month’s temperatures were above average. May still see some marginal test weights in corn, but looking like excellent yield potential now.
- 05:08 – Seeing some top die-back in corn.
- 05:30 – Premature death in corn not due to freezing temperatures, but too-slow photosynthesis. Yield may be okay but do the push test right away.
- 06:58 – IP vs RR soybeans.
- 09:30 – Know when you need nitrogen
- 10:35 – Seeded clover and oats. Do you need to burn off pre-plowing?
- 10:38 – Oats and peas. To Turbo 330 or not.
- 11:50 – Broadcast peas and oats into wheat stubble, headed 2 weeks ago – do I burn them off? How much glyphosate should I use?
- 12:30 – Moved to oats/peas partially because of rust. What about growing soys/peas as a cover crop and using it as greenfeed?
- 13:36 – When should I burn red clover down?
- 13:48 – Winter triticale planted Aug 10 – how much more nitrogen does it need?
- 14:55 – 20″ wheat or broadcast and work it in?
- 15:25 – Is de-watered sludge before winter wheat a good idea?
- 15:50 – Planted wheat 3″ deep. How long will it survive waiting for moisture?
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | All Podcasts
Please register to read and comment.