In this episode of The Word, host Peter Johnson takes us through this week’s crop notes, and questions around cereals, hay, weed control and poor crops.
Have a question you’d like Johnson to address? Or some yield results to send in? Leave him a message at 1-888-746-3311, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected].
- 01:00 – Unbelievable feedback! But that does not mean you can quit! Keep yields and questions coming.
- 02:05 – 52 bu/ac soybeans after cereal rye crop
- 02:20 – General consensus seems that wheat acres are going up.
- 02:35 – 2019 soft red winter wheat running at $6/bu.
- 03:00 – The importance of calibrating yield monitors!
- 04:45 – Research in Ohio shows it more economical to harvest corn in late October than to wait until November.
- 06:06 – Wheat planted early: is there any risk of the Ontario wheat crop getting too much top?
- 06:30 – How many heat units does a wheat crop need before freeze-up?
- 07:15 – Seed treatment comparisons for wheat.
- 07:45 – Finding a flush of weeds post-seeding: should I spray it now?
- 08:40 – Should I spray for fleabane even though I can’t see any in my winter wheat right now?
- 10:20 – Do I treat triticale the same as soft red winter wheat?
- 11:00 – Why is my cereal rye emerging purple?
- 11:20 – What’s the difference in nitrogen in red clover credit if I plow vs burn-down?
- 12:10 – Nitrogen out of red clover vs Y Drops pre-tassle on corn crop?
- 12:55 – Cutting hay during or after the critical period.
- 14:03 – Wild daisy in alfalfa, what do I do?
- 14:50 – Seeded heavy oats and saw nitrogen deficiency, upped pea population and now not seeing it.
- 15:32 – Two neighbours with soybeans: one got 65 bu/ac, the other 10bu/ac. Why?
- 16:15 – What came first, the rootworm or the crappy corn crop?