In this episode of The Word, host Peter Johnson talks harvest, wheat, wacky weather, managing nitrogen, press wheels, soybeans, fertility, tile drainage, tillage and measuring grain in the bin.
Have a question you’d like Johnson to address? Or some yield results to send in? Leave him a message at 1-844-540-2014, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- 01:00 – Soybeans still coming off, anywhere from 16-27% moisture, and some yield disappointments.
- 01:35 – Corn showing some low test weights, and/or high moisture.
- 02:30 – Lots of growers cracking 100bu/ac winter wheat. “Wheat is the way to go.”
- 02:45 – How is winter wheat going to handle the fluctuating temperatures as we head into winter?
- 06:10 – What’s the best nitrogen fertilizer strategy for hard red spring wheat?
- 09:50 – I applied 15 percent more N than usual and I still have low protein — what’s going on?
- 12:10 – The press wheels on my drill are finished — how important are they? Is it worth re-building them?
- 13:00 – Why might I have a better stand of soybeans where I did not inoculate?
- 14:00 – What’s this new liquid, starter fertilizer with a root stimulant?
- 14:22 – Re-visiting the tile drainage question.
- 15:10 – Tillage on heavy oat crops.
- 15:40 – Determining yield in a 12′ diameter silo, 8.8 acres of corn.