Have you walked your winter wheat field yet? Resident agronomist Peter Johnson reminds everyone that now is the time to look for frost heaving and early weed germination in another jam-packed episode of The Word. Johnson also talks crop notes, sulphur deficiency, nitrogen stabilizers, soil microbiology, and much more.
Find a summary of today’s show topics and times below the audio.
Have a question you’d like Johnson to address? Or some yield results to send in? Leave him a message at 1-844-540-2014, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- 00:34 – The deadline to update production insurance in Ontario is May 1.
- 03:30 – Adzuki beans (now sitting at 60 cents/lb) are incredibly sensitive to soybean cyst nematode.
- 04:25 – Hello, #plant18! A discussion on soil temperatures, and timing.
- 05:40 – Frost heave and weed scouting – get out there now and walk your wheat fields! Do not do the 55mph scout!
- 07:40 – If you are sulphur deficient, and you apply nitrogen only, you can make a big problem worse!
- 08:38 – What about sulphur on hay?
- 09:35 – Is there any better nitrogen stabilizer than N-Serve for anhydrous ammonia?
- 10:15 – A specific scenario re. Agrotain Ultra or Agrotain Plus.
- 13:40 – Will my pre-seed burn-down impact ground beetle populations?
- 15:20 – What are the chances of winter barley surviving on my farm?
- 15:50 – Imperial or U.S. gallons?