It’s very suddenly time to get things done! Host Peter Johnson starts off the show talking temperatures and crop notes, then moves into erosion (there is still so much!), alfalfa, biological stimulants and more. Find a summary of today’s show topics and times below the audio.
Have a question you’d like Johnson to address? Or some yield results to send in? Leave him a message at 1-844-540-2014, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- 00:38 – The coldest April on record for many locations in Ontario…and now it’s summer!
- 01:30 – The back two feet of my pit silage almost invariably falls forward — why didn’t it this year?
- 02:00 – Time to think about the soil, and for growers in Ontario, it’s about sulphur. A few notes on soil temperature and fertility.
- 03:00 – Erosion Central, even in well-established wheat. A few notes on mitigating the risk of erosion.
- 04:55 – Seeing tremendous frost heave on alfalfa on heavy clay soils. Remember, you can not re-seed alfalfa directly into alfalfa.
- 05:35 – If my alfalfa is struggling, can I add a little fertilizer, get a good first cut, then re-seed the alfalfa?
- 06:00 – So how do I get the alfalfa to re-establish?
- 06:40 – Winter wheat crop is seeing winter annuals coming in gangbusters!
- 07:50 – “Manipulator — yes!”
- 08:30 – Manganese deficiency already showing up in some areas!
- 08:55 – Making the decision on frost-heaved wheat.
- 09:30 – 40lb/ac wheat planted as a cover crop, but it’s looking pretty good…
- 10:40 – Why your tests could be perpetually showing up as boron deficient.
- 12:00 – What’s the deal with biostimulant Bio-Forge?
- 12:35 – What’s the efficacy of herbicides and fungicides with hard water, particularly that which is high in iron?
- 13:55 – Why don’t they use multiple modes of action with antibiotics, like we do with pesticides?
- 14:20 – Group 1 resistant crabgrass!
- 14:40 – Where we don’t need insecticide, we must be able to access fungicide-only corn seed.
- 15:00 – Two specific questions on liquid or dry manure.