In today’s episode of Wheat Pete’s Word, resident agronomist and host Peter Johnson talks crop progress (with some surprising comparisons to last year); thin wheat; no-no’s in herbicide application; water jet technology; and, a scary new finding of herbicide resistance in the province.
Find a summary of all of today’s show topics and times below the audio.
Have a question you’d like Johnson to address? Or some yield results to send in? Leave him a message at 1-844-540-2014, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- 00:35 – It’s warm and we’re flying! A look at the year so far (including some incredible crop heat units).
- 02:00 – Spotty rain in Ontario over the weekend. If you haven’t turned a wheel yet, take a breath! There’s time.
- 02:50 – A Run for 101. The importance of challenging ourselves.
- 04:00 – Some talk on herbicides and cover crops. Please, no incorportation of Dicamba or 2,4-D.
- 05:40 – Cereal rye into soybeans. Do I spray now, before cover crop starts to grow, or leave it to green up first?
- 06:25 – Updates on winter wheat variability across the province.
- 07:15 – If the wheat crop is two weeks behind, will it be two weeks longer to harvest?
- 07:55 – Cereal leaf beetles being found in the wheat crop! Scout, scout, scout!
- 08:20 – Decision time on thin wheat. When to take it out, when to leave it be.
- 09:25 – Should I just throw fungicide into the tank when we are spraying herbicides, even though disease pressure isn’t there yet?
- 10:20 – Do we need to go to higher rates of sulphur?
- 10:55 – If I put on 10lb sulphur (ATS) with 50 lb nitrogen in first pass, do I need to dilute that?
- 11:55 – Red clover going on, but a problem with fleabane. What to do for herbicides?
- 12:27 – Managing red clover for seed production.
- 13:30 – What is water jet technology?
- 14:35 – Group 1 resistant crabgrass — do I assume, or test?
- 15:13 – Alert! Alert! Alert! Finding waterhemp with resistance to Group 2, 5, 9, and 14 chemistries.