The Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture (CYSA) competition is held each fall in conjunction with Toronto’s Royal Agriculture Fair, allowing youth to speak up on a topic near and dear to their hearts. The event will be held November 2, 2019.
This year, competitors have the option of speaking about one of the seven topics listed below:
- How can aquaculture support the earth’s growing population?
- Food fraud: Do you know what you’re eating?
- Are GMOs the solution to food security?
- The benefits and challenges of adopting new technologies on the farm.
- Canada first: Can Canadian agriculture survive in an age of increased protectionism and globalization?
- What does the next generation of agriculture bring to the table?
- Bust a common myth in Canadian agriculture.
The national competition has two age categories, junior and senior. Participants must be 11 to 15-years-old, and 16 to 24-years-old respectively. Prize money ranges from $50 to $500 for the junior category and $150 to $1,000 in the senior category.
For full rules and how to apply, click here.