Grain Farmers of Ontario (GFO) has requested financial support for its members from the government due to trade disruption between North America and China. The U.S. trade battle with China has created a concerning scenario for Canadian prices and market access.
Last week, the United States unveiled plans to provide U.S. growers with financial support through its second Market Facilitation Program (MFP) in 12 months. The GFO believe that it is time Ontario soybean growers received assistance as well.
“We are asking for a fund to compensate growers,” says Barry Senft, CEO of the GFO.
Senft continued, “We had good shipments of commodity soybeans up until December and that has become much more difficult. We have seen a decline in 12 months of $2 per bushel.”
Other commodity groups have thus far not asked the federal government for direct subsidy payments based on public statements and background conversations.
“Even though soybeans might have the strongest argument of harm, canola growers in the west will have serious issues with a soybean-only payment,” says RealAgriculture’s Shaun Haney.
In conversation on RealAg Radio on Friday May 31, Jeff English of ThinkShift stated, “some of these requests for direct payment could be somewhat premature.”
Listen to RealAgriculture’s Shaun Haney full discussion with Barry Senft of the GFO below: