HyLife buys Minnesota pork plant

Manitoba-based pork producer and processor HyLife is expanding its processing capacity with the acquisition of a slaughter plant in the U.S.

The company says it is partnering with Glen Taylor, and purchasing a 75 per cent equity stake in Prime Pork LLC from the Taylor Corporation.

Prime Pork operates a recently-renovated processing plant at Windom, Minnesota, which has capacity to process around 1.2 million pigs annually.

Together with its current facility at Neepawa, Manitoba, HyLife will now have processing capacity of 3.2 million hogs each year.

“Prime Pork will allow us to expand our operations into the United States,” notes Grant Lazaruk, HyLife’s President and CEO. “Plants in both Canada and the U.S. will strengthen our supply chain, giving us further diversity in our operations to better serve our customers around the world.”

Founded by Glen Taylor in 2016, Prime Pork operates out of the former PM Beef Plant in Windom, employing around 660 people.

“I have been really pleased with the start-up of Prime Pork in Windom,” says Taylor. “With this new partner and leadership, I am confident this partnership will be great for the community, employees and area producers. Prime Pork’s location in southern Minnesota provides an abundance of resources, securing hog supply and the other raw materials required to operate a processing facility efficiently.”

Taylor Corporation’s holdings are primarily in the printing business, but also include a variety of agricultural businesses, as well as the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves and WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx, and the Star Tribune newspaper.

Earlier this month, HyLife announced the purchase of one of Canada’s largest independent hog farming operations. The company acquired the majority of ProVista Agriculture’s hog production facilities and transportation equipment, including 37 thousand sows and barns that employ around 250 people in Manitoba and southeast Saskatchewan.

Founded and headquartered in La Broquerie, Man., HyLife received an injection of capital last year when Charoen Pokphand Foods of Thailand purchased 50.1 percent ownership for C$498 million. The other 49.9 percent was already owned by ITOCHU of Japan.

Financial terms of the Prime Pork deal have not been disclosed.

Leave a Reply

 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Privacy Preference Center

Necessary

Necessary cookies help make a website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.

gdpr, __cfduid, PHPSESSID, wordpress_test_cookie, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_cart_hash, wp_woocommerce_session, wordpress_logged_in, wordpress_sec, wp-settings, wp-settings-time, __cf_mob_redir, wordpress_cache, realag
__cfduid

Marketing

Measuring interactions with the ads on the domain.

__gads,fsk_ut_2317
scmtid,v,a,JSESSIONID
IDE

Statistics

These are used to track user interaction and detect potential problems. These help us improve our services by providing analytical data on how users use this site.

_ga,_gid,_gat,_cb,_chartbeat2,_chartbeat4
_ga,_gat
_ga,_gid
metrics_token

Preferences

Preference cookies enable the website to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks, like your preferred language or the region that you are in.

chartdefaults, comment_author, comment_author_email, comment_author_url
JSESSIONID, _os_session,anonymous_votes,csrf-param,csrf-token,user,user-id,user-platform,intercom-session,intercom-lou,intercom-session
personalization_id, tfw_exp