HyLife expands hog operations, acquires ProVista

Manitoba-based pork producer and processor HyLife has announced the purchase of one of Canada’s largest independent hog farming operations.

The company has acquired the majority of ProVista Agriculture’s hog production facilities and transportation equipment.

The deal includes 37,000 sows and production facilities that employ 252 people in Manitoba and southeast Saskatchewan. It will boost HyLife’s annual production capacity by an estimated one million pigs.

“We are confident this sale represents an opportunity for our employees to grow with a global leader in the pork industry, and it fulfills our farming business aspirations,” say ProVista owners Harold and Arthur Rempel, who started the Steinbach, Man.-based company in 1996.

ProVista’s farms are located close to many of HyLife’s current operations.

“We have a long working relationship with ProVista and look forward to building on all the hard work that they have done,” says Grant Lazaruk, HyLife’s president and CEO, in a news release. “This acquisition enables HyLife to expand our production team and secure hog supply to facilitate future growth.”

Prior to the acquisition, La Broquerie, Man.-based HyLife said it produced around 2.3 million hogs and processed around 2 million hogs annually. HyLife is owned by two Asian companies: Charoen Pokphand Foods of Thailand purchased 50.1 percent ownership last year for $498 million, while the other 49.9 percent was already owned by ITOCHU of Japan.

Financial terms of the ProVista acquisition have not be disclosed.

ProVista will continue to operate most of its other businesses, including Penner Farm/Horizon Livestock and Poultry Supply, the ProVista Feeds feedmill and grain hauling/drying business, ProLine Pork Marketing, the Kohmar Farms grain farm, Quarry Oaks golf course, and three remaining hog farms that were not included in the sale to HyLife.

Leave a Reply

 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Privacy Preference Center

Necessary

Necessary cookies help make a website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.

gdpr, __cfduid, PHPSESSID, wordpress_test_cookie, woocommerce_items_in_cart, woocommerce_cart_hash, wp_woocommerce_session, wordpress_logged_in, wordpress_sec, wp-settings, wp-settings-time, __cf_mob_redir, wordpress_cache, realag
__cfduid

Marketing

Measuring interactions with the ads on the domain.

__gads,fsk_ut_2317
scmtid,v,a,JSESSIONID
IDE

Statistics

These are used to track user interaction and detect potential problems. These help us improve our services by providing analytical data on how users use this site.

_ga,_gid,_gat,_cb,_chartbeat2,_chartbeat4
_ga,_gat
_ga,_gid
metrics_token

Preferences

Preference cookies enable the website to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks, like your preferred language or the region that you are in.

chartdefaults, comment_author, comment_author_email, comment_author_url
JSESSIONID, _os_session,anonymous_votes,csrf-param,csrf-token,user,user-id,user-platform,intercom-session,intercom-lou,intercom-session
personalization_id, tfw_exp