There was a time not that long ago that you could hear Shaun Haney and Kelvin Heppner banter back and forth nearly daily on RealAg Radio.
In this LIVE! segment, we’re reliving those days as Kelvin Heppner hops into the guest seat for this 30+ minute chat about the latest ag news, trends in earnings and technology adaptations, protecting temporary workers, deep-fried food, and (surprisingly) very little sports talk!
Don’t miss RealAg LIVE! Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at 1 pm Mountain/3 pm Eastern across social media!
- Throwing it back to 2018, with a Kelvin and Shaun show!
- Never mind that Kelvin doesn’t have time to build a guitar, Shaun has a new shirt
- Beyond Meat hurt during COVID, too
- Food retail tripled sales, but still, losses abound
- Plant-based swap out didn’t happen even with empty meat counters
- In Western Canada, plant protein is a shining beacon, but has it been over-sold?
- KFC has set its Lite Life meat-adjacent product as a permanent offering
- Canadian Poultry Xpo was supposed to happen in November but has been put off a year
- Still waiting on word from Ag Days, CropSphere/Crop Production Show, etc. Indoor shows are likely off until fall 2021
- US$250 million investing in Farmers Business Network, non-traditional way to build an ag retail business, now valued at about $1.75 billion — that’s with a B
- FBN mainly an online sales set up, with little bricks and mortar. The idea to crowdsource information on pricing on fertilizer, seed, and more. Came into Canada 2018, and now an anti-competition suit
- Is it a model that works in densely populated areas vs. say, Saskatchewan or rural Texas
- Hey, it’s great to see investment in agriculture
- Machinery manufacturers are stru-gg-ling. Precision ag players, too
- Low commodity prices can sting up and down the value chain
- Let’s talk about machinery costs, right? Still have to pencil it all out. How do you justify the cost per hour?
- Buy used, and get two? Good idea, Jim!
- Will dealers diversify to stay alive? Services? Scouting?
- What’s the one food you shouldn’t deep fry?
- Chicken demand is up! But chicken wings were way down because closed pubs and no March Madness
- A temporary foreign worker situation is a serious one and complex, for sure. First, farms were told they weren’t doing enough to protect workers, now they are being told they can’t use “bubbles” to protect them
- Then there was a sports talk. The End.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | All Podcasts
Please register to read and comment.