As a country, we’ve likely never been so focused on our collective health as we have been since March. Oddly, however, one of the side effects of the economic shutdown has been the closure of gyms and fitness facilities and the cancellation of most sports. How do we best take care of our physical health when living remotely, and perhaps with poor internet?
That’s where we start with Gary Chambers, farmer and co-host of the Fit Farmer podcast, for this RealAg LIVE!
Don’t miss RealAg LIVE! weekdays at 1 pm M/3 pm E across social media!
- One positive of COVID-19: no commute. More time to work out!
- What about for snowbirds? Golf games and fair weather no more
- Home workout gear is already SOLD OUT (mostly)
- Get a local welder to make you something? A rack
- How do you find the motivation?
- Habits and routines, y’all. Self motivation comes from cultivating the habit
- Pre-set hiking or activity dates? Get outside, and keep those dates with friends
- Peloton, Strava, other apps that have a social/update feature can be super motivating
- Does it make sense that closing gyms is safer? Gyms and physical activity is so important, but we have to stay distanced (and those air droplets, man)
- Limits of rural living: too far for gyms, no good internet. Tips for setting up a routine? We’ve got 90% of what they use at Crossfit on our farms already.
- Pack lunches and make sure you eat some healthy snacks
- You can’t out-train your diet — Ouch.
- Mental health aspect can’t be understated. There’s plenty to be gained by a brisk walk for both your mental and physical health
- Set reasonable goals. Don’t get punched in the face, metaphorically
- Being an early riser can be a great thing, but there is such thing as being up too early
- The scale: Don’t step on it daily! Know where you’re at. How do you feel? How’s your energy? How do your clothes fit?
- Yes, just 30 mins/day and 3 days a week can be beneficial
- STARTING. Ugh. So hard. Write down your intentions. Get an accountability partner. Make a schedule.
Interested in farm fitness? Check out the Fit Farmer podcast here!
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | All Podcasts
Please register to read and comment.