It’s not just any farmer who thinks, “I should invite all of North American ag Twitter to my farm,” but Jeff Bennett is not just any farmer.
Grain farmer, board member, and sometimes bison rancher, Bennett farms near Dodsland, Sask., with his wife Shilow and their two kids. Bennett recently stepped in to the full-time farm owner/manger role, and it hasn’t all been roses. Listen and watch below for some ag wizard life advice, a few good shots at the peanut gallery, and more!
Don’t miss RealAg LIVE! weekdays at 1 pm M/3 pm E on your favourite social media platform!
- Who would you choose to have on your beer garden fight team?
- Barley was the winner for 2020 on Jeff’s farm
- Poor wheat. Wheat is awful, he says.
- Lentils could have been worse, but were incredibly poor. Soil got saturated and they just went nowhere.
- Shaun and Jeff originally met at the London Farm Show when Jeff was working for Novozymes
- Rural internet is fun!
- Was the goal always to come back to farm? Sort of, but it’s been way harder than he anticipated
- Where does the name Bone Trail Land Company come from?
- There’s lots of history there, especially imagining what it was like for homesteaders
- First fun meet up at their farm a few years ago, his wife Shilow planned it all. Shaun slept in his truck, so it must have been fun
- How do you be successful in farming? Have rich parents. KIDDING. Know your numbers. Adapt as things change.
- Back up…bison? Yes, parents got in to them pre-BSE and it’s stuck with the family. They have some native pasture and a herd of bison and it’s pretty cool
- The risk and reward is all his now, but Mr. Bennett is still around, too
- Live, laugh, love with Wizard Jeff, Ag Yoda.
- Prioritize your time, learn what works, roll with things
- He doesn’t work out, and has no excuse for why not — that’s honest at least
- Jeff swore. We apologize.
- Serving on a board — is it what you thought it would be?
- Learning so much from really smart people
- Being on a board means they learn from you, too, though
- Any thoughts on which presidential candidate is better for Canada?
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | All Podcasts
Please register to read and comment.