Each year, Shaun Haney asks Anne Wasko of the Gateway Livestock Exchange what wishes she’d grant for the cattle markets if she could.
(Don’t look back at what she wished for 2020, who could have predicted 2020?)
If Santa is in the business of delivering some big-picture gifts for 2021, here’s what Wasko wants:
- Better times for cattle feeders
- Why? Because cattle feeders needs some leeverage so they can pay better prices for calves
- Not staying current meant too-heavy cattle, and we need to get carcass weights back to more average levels
- Next wish? Having a juicy, quality steak in a restaurant. A return to food service, please
- Third wish: good soil moisture and some good grass growing conditions
- No more processing shutdowns, please.
And what’s ahead in the New Year? Will we see a new administration in America and more focus on sustainability, but will we see a return to more average export markets? We’ll have to wait and see.
Listen on for a full discussion between Shaun Haney and Wasko below: