Look out Wheat Pete, we’ve got a new person to talk with about wheat agronomy! Just kidding, we’ll always be consulting Peter about wheat.
But for today’s LIVE, Kara Oosterhuis is joined by Haley Tetreault, agronomy extension specialist with SaskWheat.
- Filling gaps for producers, creating resources to use
- Tetreault’s position is province-wide, but she’s based in Saskatoon.
- Background? Lots of experience in the NW of Sask in scouting, precision ag
- What did you see during the 2020 growing season? Much better harvest conditions. The farther north you got, the wetter it was. Flooding and early frost. Yields surprised people. Hot during grain fill.
- How will the position with SaskWheat help with the farm? Insight. Networking. Hands-on environment.
- What should producers be looking for in a variety in 2021? What are the seed growers growing? What are the biggest risk factors, disease and insect-wise. What’s your protein target?
- What’s the impact of midge on the crop? Decreased yield depending on timing
- What was the number one yield robber during 2020? The heat at the end of grain fill really screwed things up for yield and protein.
- Favourite wheat? Hard red. It has a good disease package.
- Fertility planning? Do some soil testing y’all. Is phosphorus adequate? How are you going to put the P down? Important to know what you’re working with.
- Liebig’s Law everyone. What’s the most yield-limiting factor?
- Back to P for a bit. Where’s the trend going after crop export at harvest? Are you replacing enough P? Benchmark soil sampling (same spot every year, GPS located) is really effective for tracking that trend.
- Plant growth regulators (PGR)? Depends on the variety, if it’s susceptible to lodging.
- Weirdest thing you’ve seen in a wheat crop? A group of horses. Wild? Not sure.
- What’s your favourite thing about Saskatchewan agriculture? Community. Innovation.
- Dry conditions coming up. What can producers do? Leave as much stubble as possible. Use practices that conserve soil moisture.
- Least favourite crop? Canola scouting for insects. Peas are hard to walk through too
- New podcast coming out from SaskWheat that’s exciting! Collaborating too.
- Lots of research projects and proposals to go over, since Tetreault’s brand new to the position.
- Watch out for bacterial leaf streak, a high wheat midge population, stripe rust
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | All Podcasts
Please register to read and comment.