When your family is heavily involved with agriculture and politics, you’re sure to have some involvement in either of those areas; or for our guest today, a combination of the two.
Alanna Koch, board chair for the Global Institute for Food Security and leader in agriculture, joins us for today’s RealAg LIVE!
RealAg LIVE! streams every weekday at 3 pm E on Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter!
- Time spent in politics?
- Great experience running for leader of the Saskatchewan Party
- What were some of the challenging issues or files worked on while in government?
- Approach to agriculture?
- Sask’s Ministry of Ag, Sask Crop Insurance changed their approach eventually
- Farmers and industry doing what they do best, and government getting out of the way
- Having natural conversations
- Public trust, building it, maintaining it
- What would you do differently regarding that public trust conversation?
- Adequate funding for organizations that are working on the public trust component
- We didn’t see COVID-19 coming, what would you have done differently if faced with it in a leadership position?
- The federal government has failed us. We’re behind in vaccine supply and the rollout program. Provinces have tried to pick up the pieces
- What started your interest in policy and politics? Growing up in a politically active family, door knocking, debate club
- It’s a thankless job y’all
- Being a policy nerd, in a good way
- Koch grew up on a dairy/grain farm, went into the College of Agriculture
- Optimistic about the future of global ag trade and Canada’s place in it?
- Being on boards
- Editor of the 25th and 50th anniversary Wheat Board books
- Advice for anyone starting out in politics or policy?
- Global Institute for Food Security? Formed in 2012. Public-private partnership for securing food, globally. The mission now is to see a world where everyone has access to food
- How to define food security? And throughout the pandemic?
- How would you define your leadership style?
- Biggest challenges for agriculture and what are you most excited for?