Have a question you’d like Johnson to address or some yield results to send in? Disagree with something he’s said? Leave him a message at 1-888-746-3311, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- Go time, y’all
- But go safe. Share the road, respect the farm equipment
- The Habs got the first round draft pick! Oh, and the Maple Leafs won
- When the soil is fit, give ‘er sh*t!
- We’ve had a great drying index, so be careful — is that tillage pass necessary? It’s not working up well
- Many fields got sure beat up last fall, either at harvest or pounding rains
- Freeze/thaw hasn’t done the work we usually expect
- Swap out the implement? Rolling baskets
- Conserve the moisture!
- Should you plant deeper? Could be! The forecast is pretty warm and dry and windy
- Corn should be at least 2″, and at 3″ you might get a yield bump (but not on heavy clay)
- Adjust as the day goes on, please. Err on the deep side
- Soybeans need way more moisture than corn to germinate, so get them to moisture
- 67% of the winter wheat crop in the U.S. is under drought conditions
- Southern Alberta got snow on Monday morning!
- Surface applying N? Add something like Agrotain, urease inhibition
- Shallow tillage, please
- Need a half inch to get urea in to the soil
- ALERT! Check your alfalfa (see photos!). Older stands, especially
- Do you need forage? Add rye in between tile run alfalfa
- Heaved crowns means it’s going to get really damaged (dead)
- Plant first, or manure first? PLANT, usually, but in an organic system, the manure is way too important to miss
- Strip tillage then plant over top to get rid of green rye. Add N in the row
- Manure always helps, unless it causes compaction
- When is it too late for N on winter wheat? Get aerial!
- It’s never too late…but how much damage will you do?
- 2x ammonium thiosulfate showing uber green. What the heck?
- Tile-run wheat: when does yellow hurt yield. Answer: already. Sorry
- Get realistic about your wheat yield goal
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | All Podcasts
Please register to read and comment.