AgriRecovery top-up on the way for Saskatchewan livestock producers


Nearly 3,500 livestock producers in Saskatchewan who were eligible for drought assistance through the AgriRecovery program launched last October will be receiving a top-up of up to $50 per head from the federal and provincial governments.

Provincial agriculture minister David Marit announced the additional payments during a visit to the Saskatchewan Cattlemen’s Association head office on Monday.

Initial payments through the 2023 Canada-Saskatchewan Feed Program were prorated to a maximum of 75 per cent to ensure all eligible producers could receive support. With applications having closed March 15, the province says the remaining 25 per cent will be automatically sent to eligible recipients by the Saskatchewan Crop Insurance Corporation’s Feed Team in the coming weeks.

Producers within the original designated regions, based on the Canadian Drought Monitor map will receive a top-up of up to $50 per head. Applicants that were in the provincial-designated area will receive a top-up of up to $20 per head.

“The last couple of years have been a struggle for cattle producers in the province,” said Saskatchewan Cattlemen’s Association Vice-Chair Chad Ross, in a news release. “Minister Marit and the Saskatchewan government were quick to respond to the challenge through the Canada-Saskatchewan feed program. We appreciate the investment in our industry made by both levels of government and thank you for the additional support announced today.”

“Producers greatly appreciate this additional drought assistance that will bring the per head assistance up to 2021 support levels in the hardest hit regions of the province,” added Saskatchewan Stock Growers Association General Manager Chad MacPherson.

The province says it received 3,486 applications for the Canada-Saskatchewan Feed Program

AgriRecovery disaster assistance initiatives, such as the 2023 drought program in Saskatchewan, are cost-shared on a 60:40 basis between the federal government and participating provinces or territories.

Related: Awaited AgriRecovery funding announced for livestock producers affected by drought and wildfires in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and BC

Wake up with RealAgriculture

Subscribe to our daily newsletters to keep you up-to-date with our latest coverage every morning.

Wake up with RealAgriculture

Please register to read and comment.


Register for a RealAgriculture account to manage your Shortcut menu instead of the default.