Website Organic Alberta Council
Are you a high capacity person who has a strong desire to make a difference? Are you passionate about organic production and interested in helping Prairie organic grain farmers to be more successful on their farms? Organic Alberta is looking for you.
The organic grain program coordinator will report to the Organic Grain Programs Manager and coordinate the implementation of Organic Alberta and the Prairie Organic Grain Initiative’s grain programs.
About Organic Alberta:
We represent and support Alberta`s entire organic industry, including all certified organic and transitioning producers and processors, as well as businesses across the value chain including but not limited to: distribution, transportation, brokers and buyers, marketers, organic brands, certifiers, inputs, seed, feed, and retailers. Organic Alberta is the housing organization for the Bauta Family Initiative on Canadian Seed Security, Prairie region as well as the Prairie Organic Grain Initiative. Through these initiatives, and in partnership with other provincial partners, we develop and deliver programming across the Prairies related to seed security and grain production.
About the Prairie Organic Grain Initiative (POGI):
The Prairie Organic Grain Initiative is a $2.2 million four-year program which began in October 2014. Its goal is to achieve growth in the organic grain sector of the Canadian Prairies, while simultaneously building resiliency and stability. The program focuses on increasing both the quantity and quality of organic field crops while building strong market relationships. The initiative is a partnership across the entire organic sector and between the organic associations in each province and is supported by Western Diversification as well as many large-scale industry partners. It has three focus streams. The New Grower stream will increase the number of organic acres by 15% by January 2019, the Optimization stream will improve the quality of current organic seed and grain, as well as farm profitability, and the Market Development stream promotes Canadian organic grain around the world to increase market opportunities for Canadian businesses.
- Development of program plans that align with the strategic directions.
- Development of program materials and Implementation of program plans while adhering to a set budget.
- Event Coordination.
- Fundraising assistance.
- Partnership development and stakeholder relation management.
- General support of Prairie Organic Grain Initiative and Organic Alberta programs as needed.
Due to funding requirements, the applicant must be under the age of 30 and have successfully completed a post-secondary degree, certificate or diploma. Only applications that include a birthdate and copy of the diploma will be considered.
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel as well as basic email and general computer skills
- Self-motivated and detail oriented
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to track and adhere to a set program budget
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel and work occasional evenings or weekends
- An interest in organic food and agriculture is a must.
- Grain agronomic experience and/or knowledge of organic production practices
- Experience in the not for profit sector
- Experience with MailChimp or Insightly software
To apply please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Remember to include your birthdate and a copy of your post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree. Application deadline is July 3, 2017. Only candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org